Cannabis extracts are becoming ever more popular with the legalization of cannabis in many U.S states and the entire country of Canada. If dabbing or vaping these extracts are out of the question, how can you consume these extracts? Learn how to make edibles with shatter with our easy decarbing and infusion methods, both of which can be found below.
Follow along below as we provide helpful tips on how to make edibles with shatter. These methods also work with budder, crumble, hash, and rosin.
What is Shatter?
This highly refined cannabis extract is usually amber in colour. Shatter is made with a pressure vacuum and contains extremely high levels of THC. Shatter is perhaps the most popular ‘dabbing’ concentrate among experienced cannabis consumers. For more information about the extraction process and other cannabis extracts, consult our Cannabis Concentrates Guide.
How to Decarboxylate (Decarb) Shatter for Edibles
Decarboxylation is the scientific process that takes place when cannabis is exposed to heat. In scientific terms, decarboxylation refers to a reaction of carboxylic acids that remove a carbon atom from a chain of atoms present within a plant such as cannabis.
When heat is applied to cannabis, it will remove a carboxyl group from the THCA cannabinoid (non-psychoactive) and creates the psychoactive Delta-9 THC. Decarboxylation also occurs when cannabis is smoked or vaporized.
How to Decarboxylate Shatter for Edibles
In order to decarboxylate your shatter (or budder/rosin/wax), you will need a few household kitchen items.
- Oven-prof Pyrex-style measuring jug or mason jar (no lid is needed)
- Oven tray
- Parchment paper
This method provides a foolproof method for decarbing shatter:
- Set the oven to 240 degrees Fahrenheit (115 Celsius)
- Place the shatter into the ovenproof mason jar or pyrex measuring cup
- No lid is needed for this decarboxylation method
- Place the container with the shatter in it onto the oven tray and place into the oven once it has reached 240 degrees Fahrenheit (115 Celsius)
- Set timer for 35 minutes
- After approximately 10 minutes, you will notice bubbles in the shatter
- After the 35-minute timer has gone off, the bubbles will have started to disappear
- Decarboxylate for an additional 15 minutes
- Let the shatter cool for at least 10 minutes before starting an infusion
Visual cue: The shatter will begin to bubble when it starts to decarboxylate. Decarboxylated shatter will no longer be bubbling.
Watch along with this helpful video that provides an easy decarboxylation method for shatter:
How to Infuse Butter or Oil with Shatter – Crockpot Method
In order to make shatter infused oils or shatter butter, there are a few pieces of kitchen equipment that you will need. This equipment is easily found in a local store or online.
- Large glass bowl or large pyrex-style measuring jug
- Crockpot/slow cooker
- Hand Strainer
- A container such as a mason jar for the final product
Cooking with cannabis must be done safely, in any kitchen. A practice that many cannabis edible chefs follow is having separate pieces of equipment that are only used for cannabis infusions.
Making this shatter infused oil, or butter, is easy, as well as relatively mess-free with our method.
How to Make Oil/Butter with Shatter
- In a large glass bowl or measuring jug, add decarboxylated shatter and 1 cup of coconut oil or butter
- Fill the crockpot with enough water to reach the halfway point of your large glass bowl or measuring jug
- Place crockpot/slow cooker on medium-low heat and wait until the water has heated
- Now, place the bowl of decarbed shatter and coconut oil (or butter) into the water within the crockpot/slow cooker
- You can cover this infusion, although it is not necessary.
- Ensure the water does not get too low during the infusion process, some will evaporate
- Leave coconut oil and shatter infusing in the crockpot/slow cooker for 3-4 hours, stirring every hour or so
- Line a hand strainer with cheesecloth (3-4 pieces on top of one another) and strain the cannabis coconut oil back into its original container or a mason jar
- Store in the refrigerator and enjoy responsibly
This easy crockpot method provides a simple, somewhat mess-free, solution for making infused shatter oil or butter at home. Watch along with this helpful video if you would like a visual aide.
What Edibles Can be Made With Shatter Infused Oil/Butter?
Depending on the substance you choose to infuse, there is almost an unlimited number of recipes awaiting cannabis infusion. Here are just a few of our recipes that should hopefully inspire some creative edibles.
Edibles Made with Infused Coconut Oil:
Edibles Made With Cannabutter:
Thank you for reading “How to Make Edibles With Shatter”, sharing this on social media by using the icons below helps us to grow and provide cannabis information to consumers across the globe.